RE: XFS Preallocation

Correct. But I've been using similar methods for evaluation and benchmarking purposes at my previous employers as well. I guess it's hard to part with the tools you learn to use. It's not a secret that we use xfs at Facebook. Xfs is the filesystem of choice for the media infrastructure group at the moment. Different projects are free to pick anything they want but I think database tier uses xfs as well. Our usage tends to create large files (databases, haystacks) so limited fragmentation, preallocation and as-close-to-raw performance are important features for us - all aspects where xfs excels. When I am talking about multiple variables which affect the testing it's RAID level, RAID stripe size (same stripe size sometimes produces different results from different controller vendors), IO scheduler, memory available, number of threads, readahead size and other external and application tuning variables.

Peter