Re: extremely slow write performance plaintext

On Dienstag, 18. Januar 2011 Cory Coager wrote:
> Also, I want to stress that I am only having performance issues with
> one logical volume, the others seem fine.

You're getting 40MB/s write speed and says that's fine? I get more
performance from a single SATA desktop drive. Your setup seems to suck
extremely somewhere.

It already starts with your dd speed. I started it on a virtualized VM
on an old, overloaded server and get:

# dd if=/dev/zero of=test.dd bs=1k count=1M
1048576+0 Datensätze ein
1048576+0 Datensätze aus
1073741824 Bytes (1,1 GB) kopiert, 10,9992 s, 97,6 MB/s

This is a hardware RAID 6 with just 8x 10krpm WD SATA drives. Try to
look into general I/O problems. Maybe you can try to boot from an actual
linux CD with kernel >2.6.30 to see if that helps performance.

Maybe one or more disks in your array are dead and the controller is
crying for replacement?

--
mit freundlichen Grüssen,
Michael Monnerie, Ing. BSc