Re: Issues with delalloc->real extent allocation

On Sun, Jan 16, 2011 at 07:28:27PM -0500, Lachlan McIlroy wrote:
> [...]

IMO, that caveat exposes the problem with this approach - it is not
persistent. It adds a lot of complexity but doesn't solve the
underlying problem: that we are exposing real extents via allocation
without having written any data to them.

> As the write progresses through the range it removes
> sections from the front of the gap list so by the time the write is complete
> the gap list is empty.  The gap list does not have a dedicated lock to
> protect it but instead relies on the iolock to ensure that only one write
> operation occurs at once (so it's not appropriate for direct I/O).
>

> > <snip>
> >
> > > I'm sure there are other ways to solve these problems, but these two
> > > are the ones that come to mind for me. I'm open to other solutions
> > > or ways to improve on these ones, especially if they are simpler. ;)
> > > Anyone got any ideas or improvements?
> >
> > The direction I've been taking is to use XFS_BMAPI_EXACT in
> > *xfs_iomap_write_allocate to ensure that an extent covering exactly
> > the
> > pages we're prepared to write out immediately is allocated and the
> > rest
> > of the delalloc extent is left as is. This exercises some of the btree
> > code more heavily and led to the discovery of the
> > allocate-in-the-middle-of-a-delalloc-extent bug. It also presents a
> > performance issue which I've tried to resolve by extending
> > xfs_probe_cluster to probe delalloc extents-- lock up all of the pages
> > to be converted before performing the allocation and hold those locks
> > until they are submitted for writeback. It's not very pretty but it
> > resolves the corruption.
> >
> > There is still the issue of crashes... This could be solved by
> > converting from delalloc to unwritten in xfs_page_state_convert in
> > this
> > very exact way and then to written in the io completion handler. Never
> > go delalloc->written directly.
>
> That solution would probably make the gap list redundant too.

Yes, I think you are right. The "gaps" would get mapped as unwritten
rather than as normal extents and hence get zereod appropriately. It
would also preventing exposure after a crash due to being
persistent.

Cheers,

Dave.
--