Re: Accidentally deleted an external log, any recovery options?

On Mon, Jan 03, 2011 at 08:50:32PM -0800, Dean Burrows wrote:
> Hello,
>

> I was trying a different distro and in doing so deleted a partition that held an
> xfs external log. Now I can't mount or repair the drive that was using that
> external log. Is there a way to get the data off, or to create an internal log
> without losing the data?

Just create a new partition for the external log, zero it, and tell
XFS to use that. You'll have lost any metadata that was in the log,
so once you have a new external log run xfs_repair -n to check that
everything is consistent. If it isn't, then back up everything you
can and run repair for real to fix whatever problems there are.

Cheers,

Dave.
--
Dave Chinner