Re: xfssyncd and disk spin down

Eric Sandeen put forth on 12/24/2010 9:36 PM:
> On 12/24/10 5:00 PM, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
>> Petre Rodan put forth on 12/24/2010 12:02 AM:

>>> just increasing the delay until an inevitable and seemingly redundant disk write is not what I want.
>>> I was searching for an option to make internal xfs processes not touch the drive after the buffers/log/dirty metadata have been flushed (once).
>>
>> I'm not a dev Petre but just another XFS user.  This is the best
>> "solution" I could come up with for your issue.  I assumed this
>> "unnecessary" regularly scheduled activity was a house cleaning measure
>> and done intentionally; didn't dawn on me that it may be a bug.
>>
>> Sorry I wasn't able to fully address your issue.  If/until there is a
>> permanent fix for this you may want to bump this to 720000 anyway as an
>> interim measure, if you haven't already, as it should yield a
>> significantly better situation than what you have now.  You'll at least
>> get something like ~1400 minutes of sleep per day instead of none,
>> decreasing your load/unload cycles from ~2880/day to ~120/day, if my
>> math is correct.
>
> Of course, then xfssyncd will not be doing its proper duty regularly ;)

Sure it will.  Just not *as regularly*.  You, Dave, Alex, Christoph, or
someone made the regularity configurable didn't you? ;)

> We just need to see why it's always finding work to do when idle.

Seems like my grandmother must have been involved with the current code.
 She was always telling me "Idle hands are the Devil's work." ;)  Or,
whoever wrote the code was somehow influenced by my grandmother (his own).

--
Stan