Re: XFS hangs

On Mittwoch, 22. Dezember 2010 Dave Chinner wrote:
> For future reference, when you are reporting a problem you need to
> be specific about what you were doing to cause the problem you are
> reporting.  Describe your kernel, your storage, your test case, any
> errors that occurred before the problem you are reporting, etc.
>
> We need this information to make any sense of your bug report, but
> I'm getting tired of having to ask for it every time you report a
> problem. The more information you put in your bug report, the more
> likely we are to be able to help you. We don't have unlimited
> amounts of time (or patience) to drag all the basic details of your
> problem out of you over 3 or 4 emails, so including it up front will
> help a lot....

Should I update this section?

http://xfs.org/index.php/XFS_FAQ#Q:_What_information_should_I_include_when_reporting_a_problem.3F

We should probably just send that link to people so you don't have to
write long texts all the time.

Maybe above section should be updated to:

Things to include are what version of XFS you are using and version of
the kernel. If you have problems with userland packages please report
the version of the package you are using.

If the problem relates to a particular filesystem, the output from the
xfs_info(8) command and any mount(8) options in use will also be useful
to the developers.

If you experience an oops, please run it through ksymoops so that it can
be interpreted. Also describe what you were doing, if you can repeat it,
and describe you kernel, storage, test case, if there was a hardware
problem before, etc.

If you have a filesystem that cannot be repaired, make sure you have
xfsprogs 3.1.x or later and run xfs_metadump(8) to capture the metadata
(which obfuscates filenames and attributes to protect your privacy) and
make the dump available for someone to analyse.

--
mit freundlichen Grüssen,
Michael Monnerie, Ing. BSc

Tel: +43 660 / 415 6531