Re: XFS file system corruption(Return Bad Transaction) kernel - 2.6.34

While the copy operation is in progress, simply unplug the usb device and then replug.
The issue can be seen from XFS (2.6.31) onwards, I am trying to figure out the changes between 2.6.30.9 and 2.6.31.
One thing I noticed is - there is difference in speed for 2 versions - in case of 2.6.30.9 if I remove the USB within '5' seconds - I can see the file being created at the destination and some data written, while in case of 2.6.31(onwards), it takes around 20 seconds to get some data to disk.
I am using MIPS at the moment with VIPT(fixes included)

Please let me know if this information is useful.

Thanks,
Amit Sahrawat
On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 8:25 PM, Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 12/1/10 1:14 AM, Amit Sahrawat wrote:
> Dear Member,
>
> I am getting following corruption on XFS formatted disk during a simple copy operation:
> sd 9:0:0:0: Attached scsi removable disk sdc
> sd 9:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg2 type 0
> XFS mounting filesystem sdc2
> Starting XFS recovery on filesystem: sdc2 (logdev: internal)
> XFS: xlog_recover_process_data: bad transaction
> XFS: log mount/recovery failed: error 5
> XFS: log mount failed

hm, that's not a simple copy operation, that is a mount failing;
your log appears to be corrupted.

offhand I'm going to blame it on having a write cache enabled
on your drive, and having barriers either off, or not working
properly.

-Eric