Re: Verify filesystem is aligned to stripes

On Fri, Nov 26, 2010 at 09:16:22AM +0100, Emmanuel Florac wrote:
> Le Thu, 25 Nov 2010 16:57:00 -0600 vous écriviez:
>
> > Looking at the stripe size, which is equal to 64 sectors per array
> > member drive (448 sectors total), how exactly is a sub 4KB mail file
> > (8 sectors) going to be split up into equal chunks across a 224KB RAID
> > stripe?
>
> It won't, it will simply end on one drive (actually one mirror).
> However because the mirrors are striped together, all drives in the
> array will be sollicited in my experience, that's why you need at least
> as many writing threads as there are stripes to reach the top IOPS. In
> your case, writing 56 4K files simultaneously will effectively write on
> all drives at once, hopefully (depends upon the filesystem allocation
> policy though).
>
> >  Does 220KB of the stripe merely get wasted?
>
> It's not wasted, it just remains unallocated. What's wasted is
> potential IO performance.

No, that's wrong. I don't have the time to explain the intricacies
of how XFS packs small files together, but it does. You can observe
the result by unpacking a kernel tarball and looking at the layout
with xfs_bmap if you really want to...

FWIW, for workloads that do random, small IO, XFS works best when you
_turn off_ aligned allocation and just let it spray the IO at the
disks. This works best if you are using RAID 0/1/10. All the numbers
I've been posting are with aligned allocation turned off (i.e. no
sunit/swidth set).

> What appears from the benchmarks I ran along the year is that anyway
> you turn it, whatever caching, command tag queuing and reordering
> your're using, a single thread can't reach maximal IOPS throughput on
> an array, i. e. writing on all drives simultaneously; a single thread
> writing to the fastest RAID 10 with 4K or 8K IOs can't do much better
> than with a single drive, 200 to 300 IOPS for a 15k drive.

Assuming synchronous IO. If you are doing async IO, a single CPU
should be able to keep hundreds of SRDs (Spinning Rust Disks) busy...

Cheers,

Dave.
--
Dave Chinner