Re: xfs_repair of critical volume

On Freitag, 12. November 2010 Eli Morris wrote:
> The filesystem must be pointing to files that don't exist, or
> something like that. Is there a way to fix that, to say, remove
> files that don't exist anymore, sort of command? I thought that
> xfs_repair would do that, but apparently not in this case.

The filesystem is not optimized for "I replace part of the disk contents
with zeroes" and find that errors. You will have to look in each file if
it's contents are still valid, or maybe bogus.

I find the robustness of XFS amazing: You overwrote 1/5th of the disk
with zeroes, and it still works :-)

Now that you are in this state, I'd recommend you
a) make a *real* *tape* *backup*
You learned it the hard way: a disk copy is no backup, at least I hope
you learned that lesson
b) Maybe also copy all your files to another system, or you trust your
backup from a) very much
c) reinitialize the full array. Really recreate every array, 2 b sure
all your RAIDs work this time.
d) copy your data backup - either from the other copy of b), or from the
tape backup in a)

Then you will see a correct view of disk space used and which files are
still there. Now you must check every files content, some will have
bogus content.

--
mit freundlichen Grüssen,
Michael Monnerie, Ing. BSc