Re: Pid: 8345, comm: rsync Not tainted 2.6.32.22intel #1

On Mittwoch, 27. Oktober 2010 Dave Chinner wrote:
> I'd suggest that people learn how to tweak udev hotplug rules so
> that when the device is first created (i.e. during hotplug) the
> scheduler, queue depth and readahead are set automatically. That way
> you don't have to rely on devices being discovered before your script
> runs...
>
> Another benefit of doing it this way is that it is easy to set
> default rules for different types of devices based on regex matching
> e.g. different configs for "sd*" vs "dm*" vs "vd*" are trivial to
> set up.

Sounds very nice. But the script I use will still work when upgrading
the server from openSUSE 11.2 to 11.3, and is therefore the preferred
choice for me.

Also, I'd need to find information and learn how to tweak udev hotplug
rules. I want to implement this on about 30 VMs on 2 different hosts,
with 3 different release states of servers (openSUSE 11.1, 11.2 and
11.3). The chance is high that I'd need two or three different udev
tweaks for the different releases, so I don't see the benefit of udev
for me. I wrote the script in about the same time I wrote this mail.

That's always the problem between developers ("ah, cool new stuff") and
admins ("i need this on 500 servers with least possible work for me, and
it must still work after any updates/upgrades").

--
mit freundlichen Grüssen,
Michael Monnerie, Ing. BSc

it-management Internet Services