Re: cannot defrag volume, fragmentation factor 21.73%

On 10/19/2010 01:10 AM, Dave Chinner wrote:
Understand your numbers. What frag reports is how many extents there
are vs a perfect layout. It does not tell you how badly fragmented
your filesystem is. Extent-based filesystems can have
"fragmentation" like you see reported above, but not suffer at all
because the extents are large enough not to affect IO throughput.

Hi Dave,

I think I almost got that now.
But, at which numbers should I look at before starting a defrag then?

Up to now, I ran always "echo frag | xfs_db -r /dev/..." to get a "number" that could tell me if starting a xfs_fsr was necessary.

At which other numbers should I look at to see if running a xfs_fsr defrag is necessary or not?

Many thanks,
Richard

--
Richard Ems       mail: Richard.Ems@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx