Re: ENOSPC at 90% with plenty of inodes

Dave Chinner put forth on 10/12/2010 5:29 AM:
> On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 08:27:00PM -0500, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
>> Dave Chinner put forth on 10/11/2010 5:35 PM:

>>> The error has nothing to do with the size of the files, but
>>> everything to do with being able to allocate more inodes. Inode
>>> allocation requires 4 contiguous blocks (for 256 byte inodes, more
>>> for larger inodes) with alignment constraints. That means when you
>>> run out of 8 block or larger free extents, inode allocation will
>>> start failing and you'll get ENOSPC being reported.

>>> Only a little. xfs_fsr will not improve fragmented free space
>>> conditions (indeed, it normally fragments free space more). The only
>>> way to reduce the fragmentation of free space is to remove a
>>> significant amount of data and inodes from the filesystem...
>>
>> Hay Dave, would a "backup/reformat/restore" help with free space
>> fragmentation in this case?
>
> Of course. But that's the last resort....
>
>> If so, could/should the OP specify anything
>> during the mkfs.xfs reformat that may help alleviate or mitigate his
>> problem in the future?
>
> No. These problems usually appear in filesystems that have run at
> greater than 85-90% full for extended periods of time without being
> emptied at all. Once you start to free up space, it naturally
> defragments itself, but if you never free up any significant amount
> of space in the filesytesm, this cannot occur and so fragmentation
> just keeps getting worse....

So, given that this problem is on a production IMAP server, and the OP
likely can't just willy nilly start deleting user files, would adding
more disk (and assuming he's using LVM or somesuch) and growing the
filesystem alleviate this inode issue?

Or would he be better off adding more disk, creating a new filesystem,
and moving half or so of his mailboxen over to the new filesystem at the
Cyrus (application) level?  I've never used Cyrus, though IIRC Dovecot
can do this "split mail store" setup.

--
Stan