Re: Linux and DMAPI

On Sat, Sep 18, 2010 at 09:08:16PM -0300, Diego Woitasen wrote:
> Hi,
>  I'm looking for software that supports DMAPI on Linux. I haven't
> found anything on the web. I need to implement HSM for a mail server,
> to store old messages in a secondary storage.
>
>  Are there something implemented? Open source or propietary one? I
> prefer open source obviously...

The XFS on disk format supports the required metadata for DMAPI, but the
implementation for it never made it into the mainline Linux kernel.  For
years SGI provided a tree to add the support, but for the last few years
the support bitrotted heavily.  Alex promised to publush a tree with
updated DMAPI support in the near future.

You'll still need additional userspace support the to actually driver
the migration.  The xfstests suite has a minimal implementation for QA
purposes as free software, but I don't think that's what your looking
for.  The main user of the XFS DMAPI support is SGI's DMF product,
and at least a few years ago IBM's Tivoli Storage Manager also supported
DMAPI.