Re: XFS status update for August 2010

On Sun, Sep 05, 2010 at 08:56:00PM +0200, Willy Tarreau wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 05, 2010 at 11:08:09PM +1000, Dave Chinner wrote:
> > That being said, I've been running
> > my laptop and my production machines (except for the backup target)
> > for a couple of months now with it and haven't had any problems...
>
> Fine, this is typically the type of info I need. Thus I'll be using
> it with an eye on any potential FS-related problem.

Thanks.

> Are there any plans to use that option by default once it gets enough
> testing ? I'm asking because I had to convert from XFS to reseirfs at
> least twice due to slow metadata, but I tend to trust XFS a lot more
> (especially due to dirty failures I experienced a few years ago with
> reiserfs - corrupted file tails upon power cut).

>From Documentation/filesystems/xfs-delayed-logging-design.txt:

2.6.37 Remove experimental tag from mount option
        => should be roughly 6 months after initial merge
        => enough time to:
                => gain confidence and fix problems reported by early
                   adopters (a.k.a. guinea pigs)
                => address worst performance regressions and undesired
                   behaviours
                => start tuning/optimising code for parallelism
                => start tuning/optimising algorithms consuming
                   excessive CPU time

2.6.39 Switch default mount option to use delayed logging
        => should be roughly 12 months after initial merge
        => enough time to shake out remaining problems before next round of
           enterprise distro kernel rebases

Cheers,

Dave.
--