Re: deleting 2TB lots of files with delaylog: sync helps?

On Donnerstag, 2. September 2010 Dave Chinner wrote:
> 	-> free block

Is the SSD-needed "trim" belonging into here?

> In contrast, XFS CPU consumption increases per-operation in a
> predictable fashion - O(log n) where n is the number of directory
> entries. e.g for 4k directory blocks it increases by ~2x from 100k
> entries to 1m entries, and another 2x from 1M entries to 10M entries
> and so on, but the result is that the IO patterns are rarely enough
> to cause operations to become seek bound.

Now I understand, thanks again for that great explanation.

> > Maybe there should be an extra SSE4 assembler instruction "rm on
> > XFS" so we can delete files faster? ;-)
>
> You'd need an entire ASIC, not an instruction ;)

Time to invent the "XFS rm co-processor". Should be multi-core so it
scales better. Maybe someone writes a graphics cards plugin for XFS?
Then we'd see an increase of servers with fast GFX cards "because we
need to delete files quickly". And at times no users are deleting files,
the admins can play Doom on the servers. ;-)

--
mit freundlichen Grüssen,
Michael Monnerie, Ing. BSc

it-management Internet Services