Re: 4k drives: benefits and models?

On Montag, 26. Juli 2010 Louis-David Mitterrand wrote:
> - what are the benefits of these new drives? Speed, temperature,
>   reliability?
>
> - what specific HD models are truely 4k for purchase right now? I'm
>  on the market for a bunch of 2Tb drives, what is a good choice?
>
> - what options do I need when creating my raid6 array and xfs
>  filesystem to fully take advantage of 4k sectors?

ATM we are in a transition phase - there are first drives available, and
it will take some time until every hardware and software piece is fully
able to support 4K sectors. Probably all hard disk manufacturers will
switch to 4K sectors within the next years, as the advantage is that
more data can be saved onto a hard drive, and speed slightly increases
(when used correctly). But that will be a long transition.

It's not necessary to buy 4k sector drives, I'd only recommend it if you
are a techie and want to play around with it. Stay at normal drives,
that's proven technology and works.

For a hardware RAID-6 controller, it shouldn't matter, as the stripe
size is usually 16k or higher, which is 32 sectors (or 8x 4K sectors),
and as a multiple of the sector size there's no speed difference to
normal drives.

I use my 2 4k drives with a software RAID-0 in Linux, it's mostly to
play around (sometimes I'm still a techie), and get an idea of how good
the technology can be used already.

I have no idea about Windows support for 4k sector drives.

--
mit freundlichen Grüssen,
Michael Monnerie, Ing. BSc

it-management Internet Services