Re: bug and fun with XFS: unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference

On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 12:19:47AM +0200, Michael Monnerie wrote:
> I just enjoy an obviously broken XFS filesystem. It was a running
> server, which I planned to migrate so I did "rsync -aHAX /
> otherhost::rsyncmodule", and experienced a "killed". At that time I
> thought it was a one time mistake, so restarted rsync, but Murphy made
> it get killed again.
>
> So I looked into dmesg, just to find this: It's the log of all messages,
> so maybe twice the same, I copy everything for reference. See attachment
> "xfs-bug.dmesg.txt".

The first occurrence is:

> Pid: 1809, comm: syslog-ng Not tainted 2.6.27.48-0.1-xen #1

That's an old kernel, and doesn't seem related to the rsync
triggered problem, even though it is the same oops signature.

> I started to look, and quickly found a funny problem: Once I mount that
> partition, I cannot unmount it again:
>
> # mount /disks/work/
> # umount /disks/work/
> umount: /disks/work: device is busy.
>         (In some cases useful info about processes that use
>          the device is found by lsof(8) or fuser(1))

Some other process has taken a reference to the fs, I'd say.
And if that process triggered an oops, then you'd see this.

> So I rebooted without mounting that partition, and
>
> # xfs_repair -n /dev/xvda2 [VERSION:3.1.2]
> xfs_repair: /lib64/libuuid.so.1: no version information available
> (required by xfs_repair)
> Phase 1 - find and verify superblock...
> Phase 2 - using internal log
>         - scan filesystem freespace and inode maps...
>         - found root inode chunk
> Phase 3 - for each AG...
>         - scan (but don't clear) agi unlinked lists...
>         - process known inodes and perform inode discovery...
>         - agno = 0
>         - agno = 1
> local inode 8636461 attr too small (size = 0, min size = 4)
> bad attribute fork in inode 8636461, would clear attr fork
> would have cleared inode 8636461

Corrupt attribute fork - matches with the oops signatures.  I'd
definitely consider upgrading your kernel as a first step...

Cheers,

Dave.
--
Dave Chinner