Re: xfs file system in process of becoming corrupt; though xfs_repair thinks it's fine! ; -/ (was xfs_dump problem...)

Dave Chinner wrote:
I don't think we changed anything at all directory related in
XFS in 2.6.34 so I'm a little perplexed as to why this is suddenly
all happening. Did these problems only show up when you updated to
2.6.34, or can you reproduce them on an older kernel?
----
	I've not had a chance to check this.
	But have been running 2.6.34 for about 3+ weeks.

	Have had alot of changes on my sys, including adding
disks -- resulting in ALOT of disk-disk copyies that I've mostly
done with a "xfsdump|mbuffer|xfsrestore" pipe, though I've started
using 'star' (handles acls & ext_attrs) with fewer errors than the pipe.
	However -- the biggie that was giving me the most problems is
a disk with lots of 'foreign' names on it -- many of which have been
getting stored via 'samba' from WinXP clients that don't speak
very good UTF-8 (if at all). With WinXP, I had files that were undelete-able on Windows (explorer or shell) that I *could* delete, from linux because linux spoke UTF-8.
	Well now I have some similar files on linux -- they might
have been stored in a weird character set -- ASCII and UTF-8 don't
work to read them.  They don't read as errors but nothing can
read them.
	While it is "bothersome" that I can't read them, I would have
expected that xfsdump/restore would have used character-set 'irrelevant'
calls to dump/restore files just to circumvent these problems.
	At this point, I haven't yet stumbled onto how to address those
files in linux in order to delete or rename them to a UTF-8 normalized
form.

	At this point, I'm just guessing that this is the problem, but
it's my best guess so far...

Any ideas would be appreciated...will keep you posted.
-linda

p.s. (on top of things had file system problems that caused last week's email
to evaporate!  so anything that was sent to me was lost, though I could read
through archives to find things that were sent to the list -- not the best use
of time, though, I'm afraid...).