Re: Help with XFS

On Freitag, 18. Juni 2010 Emmanuel Florac wrote:
> > You have the money for a IBM DS4700 (costs with disk >15.000€), but
> > not for 4 cheap 2TB SATA disks to at least copy the data there?
> > That would have cost <500€.
>
> This isn't very helpful. Advice to everyone : read the tao of backup
> ( http://www.taobackup.com ). Old, funny and still right on.

I didn't say it's a backup solution. It's the simplest form of keeping
data, and would have helped here.

We tend to do backup-to-disk and then disk-to-tape, which until now is
superior to just backup-to-tape. It speeds up backup and restore time,
even when "just" using simple 2TB SATA drives (in RAID-5 arrays). The
following disk-to-tape runs without any start/stop cycles of the tape
(mostly LTO4 now), leading to much longer tape and tape drive lifetimes
than before.

--
mit freundlichen Grüssen,
Michael Monnerie, Ing. BSc