Re: cross compile xfree86-4.8.0

On Wed, 14 Oct 2009, john blair wrote:
--- On Wed, 10/14/09, Marc Aurele La France <tsi@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
From: Marc Aurele La France <tsi@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re:  cross compile xfree86-4.8.0
To: "john blair" <mailtome200420032002@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: XFree86@xxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wednesday, October 14, 2009, 8:21 PM
On Tue, 13 Oct 2009, john blair wrote:

Thanks for the reply Marc. But I don't think code
sourcery's arm
toolchain (http://www.codesourcery.com/sgpp/lite/arm) consist
linux/utsrelease.h file.
I end up with the following error:
imakemdep.h:835:34: error: linux/utsrelease.h: No such
file or directory

No mainline kernel source tarball contains
include/linux/version.h, nor
include/linux/utsrelease.h.  They are both generated by
the kernel build process, but the latter only after
2.6.17.  But the version.h included here advertises a
kernel version of 2.6.29.  See ...

http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commitdiff;h=63104eec234bdecb55fd9c15467ae00d0a3f42ac

Therefore, the toolchain tarball was misgenerated in that
it does not also contain utsrelease.h.  Likely an
oversight.  Please report this problem to CodeSourcery
and see what they say.

This is the reply I got from code sourcery
"My Debian desktop system also has <linux/version.h> but no
<utsrelease.h>.  I also checked upstream GIT kernel sources, and while
both headers are built only version.h is installed
(include/linux/Kbuild:objhdr-y).  CodeSourcery's current tools use the
recommended "make headers_install" to distribute kernel headers.

Are you trying to build a userspace server or a kernel module?
utsrelease.h might be available for kernel modules, which require a
build tree."

http://www.codesourcery.com/archives/arm-gnu/msg02922.html

Hummm. That's a good point. Looking deeper, this string isn't even used, nor is it generated in the non-cross-compile case.

I'll get back to you.

Thanks.

Marc.

|  Marc Aurele La France           |  work:   1-780-492-9310          |
|  Academic Information and        |  fax:    1-780-492-1729          |
|    Communications Technologies   |  email:  tsi@xxxxxxxxxxx         |
|  352 General Services Building   +----------------------------------+
|  University of Alberta           |                                  |
|  Edmonton, Alberta               |    Standard disclaimers apply    |
|  T6G 2H1                         |                                  |
|  CANADA                          |                                  |