Re: new installation: KDE no longer starts

On Tue, 25 Mar 2008, gary wrote:
Marc Aurele La France wrote:
On Tue, 25 Mar 2008, gary wrote:
Marc Aurele La France wrote:
On Tue, 25 Mar 2008, lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Would that be from Suse? Consider me a micron above newbie.

Yes, it would be a SuSe rpm.

Well, I managed to find xinetd-2.3.14-32.x86_64.rpm. I had to use the --replacefiles and --replacepkgs options to force the install. The problem is the same.

Sigh. How people can go on tangents like this will always amaze me. (xinetd has nothing at all to do with X.)

The package you should reinstall is given by ...

    rpm -q -f /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc

... or ...

    rpm -q -f /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/xinitrc

... whichever file exists.

rpm -q -f /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc works, but does not fix the problem.

No, of course not. But it does tell you which package needs to be reinstalled. Find the corresponding RPM and do ...

	rpm -Uf <rpmname>

I didn't go off on a tangent as much as a typo. In any event, is there is bug-free way to do the Xfree86 installation from scratch? Getting this to work by some patch is simply a poor solution to an installation bug.

Also note, I entered kde in one of the terminal windows to force it to start. I get an error message "could not start kstartupconfig. Check your installation." So I gather the Xfree86 installation caused this problem since the KDE enviroment was working fine until I installed xfree86.

When you installed XFree86, it replaced your previously installed window manager setup with a default one that invokes twm. Thus re-installing XFree86 won't help.

Marc.

|  Marc Aurele La France           |  work:   1-780-492-9310          |
|  Academic Information and        |  fax:    1-780-492-1729          |
|    Communications Technologies   |  email:  tsi@xxxxxxxxxxx         |
|  352 General Services Building   +----------------------------------+
|  University of Alberta           |                                  |
|  Edmonton, Alberta               |    Standard disclaimers apply    |
|  T6G 2H1                         |                                  |
|  CANADA                          |                                  |