Running XF86_SVGA on ancient Thinkpad 560

Hello

I installed DSL 3 on an old Thinkpad 560 and am trying to get X to work
correctly. The laptop is a 2640-10U with a Trident Cyber9382 chipset and a
11.3 DSTN display. After lots of head-beating, I discovered that the only
thing would work was XF86_VGA. I downloaded a binary (I think version
3.x), found some XF86Config settings that mostly worked and was able to
get a desktop to appear.

The problem now is that there is a strange band that is about an inch tall
and screen width at the bottom that is fuzzed out. All other parts of the
screen appear to be OK. I took a (bad) picture of it and you can see it
here:
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x263/flyngti/tech/thinkpad560_screen.jpg

I know that the hardware is working fine since this laptop was running
Win95 with no display problems.

So...what could be the problem? Is this something fixable in XF86Config
settings?

Thanks for any suggestions.

-- Eric