RE: Missing separator error when building

I've worked it out (possibly).

In file .../xc/´lib/freetype2/Imakefile I've removed some
trailing '@@\' from lines in the section with the install target.
This avoids lines with only a '\' in the resulting Makefile.

That made it work.

It must admit I do not have a clue as to what I'm doing, but it worked for now.

-------------- original message below -------------

Trying to build on Solars 10 SPARC.
XFree86 version 4.7.0

Using GNU Make, not Sun's make.

Get this error:

gmake[3]: Entering directory `/apps/XFree86/v4.7.0/xc/lib/freetype2'
Makefile:1152: *** missing separator.  Stop.

Note that the word "separator" in the make lingo means tab character.

When I look at the Makefile in the freetype2 directory I can see what the problem is.
There is a section that looks like this:

install::
\
        @if [ -f $(DESTDIR)$(INCDIR)/freetype2/ft2build.h ]; then \
\
            (set -x; $(RM) -f $(DESTDIR)$(INCDIR)/freetype2/ft2build.h) \
\
        fi

What make is saying is that after a target (in this case 'install') the actions under that target must be indented by a tab character.

As you can see this is not the case because of those lines with a single initial backslash on them.

I'm really a newbie on make and the circus around it so I do not know how to proceed.
I understand that the Makefile in question is generated every time I run the 'make World' command but I'm
not clever enough to follow the track and pinpoint where this goes wrong.

thanks for any help you can give.