Re: basic video functionality on MPC8560

On Wed, 15 Aug 2007, Mel Davey wrote:

Hi, old programmer here, but new to linux and hardware side.  I have a
custom developed MPC8560 freescale processor board w/ 3 PCI slots.  I would
like to add one pci video board and get something to display on my LCD at
800x600, 16bbp res.

I have 3 video board choices right now:  NVidia GeForceMX 4000, ATI
128RagePro, ATI Radeon 9250, all PCI.
Keep in mind I need to cross-compile anything I add to this board, so I
can't use any newer ATI or NVidia proprietary drivers.  I'm also new to
cross-compiling in general, so its taking a bit of time just to get X
compiled to the PPC.

When booting the kernel, I first notice no /dev/fb or /dev/fb0, etc.
These cmds do not produce a fb:
modprobe nvidiafb
modprobe radeonfb
This does:
modprobe vga16fb
but I can' do a:
fbset -g 800 600 800 600 16
on i, it hangs.  The vga16fb loaded, but seg faulted as well, although it
did make a /dev/fb0 that I can do fbset -i on?

So I move on to get the X server running anyway, as it shou work with no
fb.  No luck?  I've tried to just start it up with:
X -allowMouseOpenFail
notice I don't yet have a mouse.  I want to eventually ue the touch screen
as my only pointer, but that will happen later I assume, just want to see
stuff on the LCD first.

Stuff like:
lspci -vvv seem to work fine, and report back seemingly good info.

Thoughts?

You have a PCI Radeon? Drool. I wasn't aware any had actually been manufactured. In any case, it appears there's no support for it, either in the kernel, in X. Although you might be able to get it to work in X with a DeviceID override.

I'm somewhat surprised nvidiafb doesn't find the GeForce. That adapter should work in X, with or without a /dev/fb*.

The Rage128 should be found by the kernel's aty128fb module. It should also work in X.

Beyond that, I can't really guess what the problem(s) might be, without looking over a copy of your /var/log/XFree86.0.log.

Marc.

|  Marc Aurele La France           |  work:   1-780-492-9310          |
|  Academic Information and        |  fax:    1-780-492-1729          |
|    Communications Technologies   |  email:  tsi@xxxxxxxxxxx         |
|  352 General Services Building   +----------------------------------+
|  University of Alberta           |                                  |
|  Edmonton, Alberta               |    Standard disclaimers apply    |
|  T6G 2H1                         |                                  |
|  CANADA                          |                                  |