Re: Configuration collapsed..

On Thu, 23 Aug 2007, Dinesh wrote:

I'm just a novice Linux user and not sure what I did a few days before.. I just created some new users.. Now I'm unable to get GUI of my linux version..

Upon booting, the command prompt comes up.. When I give "startx" command from any user, the following errors come up,

---
Using authority file /home/tdb.xauthority
Writing authority file /home/tdb.xauthority
Using authority file /home/tdb.xauthority
Writing authority file /home/tdb.xauthority

Authentication failed - cannot start x server.
Perhaps you do not have consolce ownership ?
giving up.
xinit: No such file or directory.
(errorno 2): unable to connect to x server.
xinit: No such process.
(errorno 3): Server error.
---

tdb is the user name..

But I'm able to get GUI through root user, but its strictly warning not to do that..

         OS and Version :::    Mandrake 9.1.. (Lonestar)
         Kernel   ::  Kernel 2.4.21-0.18mdk
         XFree86 version  ::::   4.3.0

I don't know what video hardware I'm using.. Please let me know how to find it or further details..

I have attached the XFree86 log and configuration files..

Was that a log produced while running as root? If so, the likely problem is that the server isn't set-uid root. Try, as root, ...

	chmod u+s `which X`

Marc.

|  Marc Aurele La France           |  work:   1-780-492-9310          |
|  Academic Information and        |  fax:    1-780-492-1729          |
|    Communications Technologies   |  email:  tsi@xxxxxxxxxxx         |
|  352 General Services Building   +----------------------------------+
|  University of Alberta           |                                  |
|  Edmonton, Alberta               |    Standard disclaimers apply    |
|  T6G 2H1                         |                                  |
|  CANADA                          |                                  |