Re: X Server Crash on RedHat 8.0

On Sun, 15 Apr 2007, Adrienne Thompson wrote:

Could not init font path element unix/:7100, removing from list!

Fatal server error:
could not open default font 'fixed'

This is a common symptom on older Red Hat systems.  You need to figure out
why your font server (xfs) isn't starting properly.

On the contrary, xfs is up and running. The problem begins when I execute
"startx", then xfs crashes. The X font Server was somehow corrupted by the hard
shutdown.

OK. Then, I'll rephrase. You need to figure out why xfs is crashing. Try restarting it manually. Although, this problem is common with older Red Hat systems, I have never experienced it myself and don't really know what the problem might be.

Marc.

|  Marc Aurele La France           |  work:   1-780-492-9310          |
|  Academic Information and        |  fax:    1-780-492-1729          |
|    Communications Technologies   |  email:  tsi@xxxxxxxxxxx         |
|  352 General Services Building   +----------------------------------+
|  University of Alberta           |                                  |
|  Edmonton, Alberta               |    Standard disclaimers apply    |
|  T6G 2H1                         |                                  |
|  CANADA                          |                                  |