PS2 driver question

Hello,
xfree86 4.3.0
kernel 2.4.20 (RH9)
intel 852 chipset

Touch Screen (works OK with proprietary driver)

PS/2 mouse, frequently plugged and unplugged

Kudzu does not get aware of mouse removal. I've seen that  /proc/misc always report psaux (differently from an older board (with exacly the same software), in which the entry was NOT present if the mouse was not present)

So the:

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Mouse0"
        Driver      "mouse"
        Option      "Protocol" "PS/2"
        Option      "Device" "/dev/psaux"
        Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
        Option      "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
EndSection

is always present in the configuration files.

The X server successfully boots in any case: but it takes a long time when the mouse is NOT present, as if it's wasting time trying to config it or so.

How can I avoid this? Is there a way to detect the mouse presence by myself and dinamically change the XFree86 config BEFORE starting it? Or should I try to modify the driver in some way, so as to reduce the  delay?

Thank you!