Re: X11 and ivtv overscan

   Overscan is usually a function of the TV encoder and not the
display hardware of the graphics chip.  At least with the hardware
I have worked on, CRTC timings (what xvidtune sets) are ignored for
both TV and DVI outputs.  Overscan functionality (at the hardware
level) looks like a knob on the TV encoder in the cases I've seen.
NVIDIA's binary drivers expose this knob with the "TVOverScan"
config file option or from their control panel.  I don't know what
other vendors do, but it's a driver-specific feature.  It's conceivable
that it's not possible to adjust the overscan with some TV encoders.

                        Mark.