resources not working: classname being clobbered?

We have an old X application that apparently never was able to load resources properly.  In order for the resources in a file to have any effect, the classname has to be removed:

*.PlanWindow.x: 100
*.PlanWindow.y: 200

Instead of:

AppName*PlanWindow.x: 100
AppName*PlanWindow.y: 200

The Xt call clearly is attempting to set the classname correctly but we're speculating that somewhere else this classname is being clobbered:

top_level = XtVaAppInitialize(&AppContext,
        "AppName", ...);

Can anyone offer a guess as to what is happening?

Thanks in advance