Re: options/modules/extensions

On Sun, 24 Sep 2006, Chad Kline wrote:

> QUESTIONS:
>
> 1. how can i find out what options/modules/extensions
>    are of benefit?
>
> 2. is there a practical way, or a XFree86 plan to
>    decrease the amount of memory XFree86 uses? (62MB!)

   The server is not using 62 Meg.  Many OSes do not report
actual system memory usage but the sum of virtual mappings,
which include things like the graphic card's mapped framebuffer.
Also, remember that client resources (like pixmaps) reside on the
server.  When Firefox starts up and your server grows by some number
of megabytes, that is due to Firefox instructing the server to
allocate piles and piles of pixmaps.  It's not the server's fault
that the applications are hogs, but it shows up in the server's
memory space never-the-less.

  As for modules and extensions, I wouldn't worry about it.  They
generally don't take up much memory and all of them are needed by
some app or the other.  You can remove them almost arbitrarily,
but then some apps stop working or start working strangely when
particular extensions are missing.  There are too many apps for
us to keep track of what-apps-use-which-extensions.  If you want
to remove extensions, it's your problem to figure out which extensions
your apps need.

  If you want to see which clients are requesting resources,
you can run this app:

http://www.xfree86.org/~mvojkovi/restest.c

Be careful running it though.  You should redirect the output, eg.:

   restest > output.txt

because it grabs the server and without the redirection away from
stdout, it can cause a race condition with some terminal programs
trying to print the stdout.  This app uses the X-Resource extension
so you don't want to omit loading that one.   I notice on my machine
that my web browser is using 778 pixmaps totaling over 50 Meg.

		Mark.