How do I get 2 displays with 2 different window managers?

Hi,

My goal is to be able to create two "displays" not "screens" running 2 different window managers (one will actually be just an X-server). I want to run Gnome on one display (keyboard and mouse) and just an X-Server (no keyboard and mouse) with no window manager in the other.

I have tried both a single Matrox G450 Dual-Headed graphics card and two single ATI Rage Pro 8MB Cards. I will be happy to get either configuration working. I have the same results so far with both types of cards.

I am running RedHat Enterprise ES 4. I configured my xorg.conf file for 2 devices, 2 screens, and 2 monitors and then I created a ServerLayout section. When I type "startx" Gnome starts on both displays and my keyboard and mouse control is one display. I was happy to see this.
I open an xterm and do:

# setenv DISPLAY :0:0
# xterm & (an xterm pops up on one display)
# setenv DISPLAY :0:1
# xterm & (an xterm pops up on the OTHER display)

So, as I understand it, the number before the "." is the display number and the number after the "." is the screen number. Apparently I am running two screens and not two displays. This is why I think this might be a problem......

Now I have to figure out how to start Gnome or KDE in one window and have it NOT come up in the other window (I just want an X server with no window manager in that 2nd window). I looked in XClients and saw gnome-session getting called. I had seen some documentation on the web for gnome-session that said there was a "-display" parameter that I could pass the display number. I did not see this in the man page for "gnome-session" though. Is there a display number parameter so that I can just start gnome-session one ONE display? What about for "startkde"? If I can specify a display number for gnome-session or startkde, I would think I have to make it so the displays are ":0:0" and ":1:0", not 0:1 and 0:2, is that correct?

Thanks,
Todd

Todd Harrington
Senior Systems Engineer