Re: Unable to install XFree86 on fedora3 , video card i915G

On Wed, 10 May 2006, mahesh prabhu wrote:

   I am trying to install XFree86 4.5.0 (Linux-ix86-glibc23) on a fedora 3
m/c with i915G video card . The reason I want to install this is because the
eariler version of X windows that I had ( X.Org 6.7.0 , that comes with
fedora 3  )  did not have the latest drivers for i915 and only had the basic
ones . Since I want to play games( like fifa 06 which require 3d support )
on linux I want to run Xwindows with support for i915 (which according to
release notes is supported in  XFree86 4.5.0 ).

I tried installing XFree86 with the following files downloaded from XFree86
ftp server :
extract   Xdrm.tgz   Xfcyr.tgz  Xfscl.tgz  Xinstall.sh  Xmod.tgz   Xprog.tgz
Xrc.tgz     Xvfb.tgz
Xbin.tgz  Xetc.tgz   Xfenc.tgz  Xfsrv.tgz  Xlib.tgz     Xnest.tgz  Xprt.tgz
Xtinyx.tgz  Xxserv.tgz
Xdoc.tgz  Xf100.tgz  Xfnts.tgz  Xhtml.tgz  Xman.tgz     Xpdf.tgz   Xps.tgz
Xvar.tgz

To install I did the following :
I first ran init 3 in text mode so that the current x server would shut down
as this starts every time I restart( I was not able to kill it ) .
then I followed the instructions given in
http://www.xfree86.org/4.5.0/Install3.html#3 to install.

when I tried configuring XFree86 using the command XFree86 -configure I got
an error saying that libglid2x.so was missing and instructed to install this
library and create a link so that XFree86 can pick it up .
Because of this error I am not able to proceed with installation , what is
this error why am I getting it ? What has Glide got to do with XFree86 and
my video card ? where will I find find this libglide2x.so if it is necessary
to install it ?

I am not a linux expert , so please make you reply sufficiently detailed .

You can safely ignore this "error", as libglide2x.so is a requirement of the glide driver, which doesn't apply to your particular system.

Marc.

|  Marc Aurele La France           |  work:   1-780-492-9310           |
|  Academic Information and        |  fax:    1-780-492-1729           |
|    Communications Technologies   |  email:  tsi@xxxxxxxxxxx          |
|  352 General Services Building   +-----------------------------------+
|  University of Alberta           |                                   |
|  Edmonton, Alberta               |     Standard disclaimers apply    |
|  T6G 2H1                         |                                   |
|  CANADA                          |                                   |