Re: frame buffer problem pls help

On Sun, Apr 02, 2006 at 12:06:47PM -0700, Mark Vojkovich wrote:
>   Use "XFree86 -configure" instead.  There is a native Matrox
>driver that you should be using.  Autoconfig, in my opinion,
>erroneously configures to use a framebuffer driver even when
>the mga driver is available.  Or you could just remove the
>references to the fbdev, vesa and vga Devices in your current
>XF86Config file.

Autoconfig probes the primary/native driver plus a number of fallbacks.
The fallbacks are there for cases where the native driver fails in either
the probe or preinit phases.

Unfortunately an incompatibility in the way the native driver and fbdev
fallback register their resources results in this fatal error.  If it
wasn't for this, the native driver would have been used.  This has since
been fixed by including explicit busids in the auto-generated
configuration.

I would prefer that the conflict that leads to the fatal error in this
situation be recognised at the probe phase, and lead to probe failures
rather than a fatal error after the probe phase.  If an fbSlot is claimed,
fail any subsequent bus-specific requests.  If a bus-specific slot is
claimed, fail any subsequent fbSlot requests.  Then the fbdev driver's
probe would have failed, and the server would have used the native driver
as it should.

This failure could also have been avoided by only proceeding as far as
the first successful probe on each retry, and I'll look into that to see
if it might make the process even more robust.

David