how to implement audio/video redirection and interaction through X protocol?

Hello, all,

As we all known, an application in X server can be displayed in a remote client computer through X protocol.
With the development of embedded system and IP phone (skype, gtalk,etc.) ,  I suppose:  can we set up a IP phone server on a Linux-based PC (with rich peripherals like WiFi, Bluetooth, GSM modem) and use  a PDA with same rich peripherals to connect with IP phone server. the benifit of this proposal lies on: user holding PDA can remotely control (just like a remote controller) and interact with the PC in home (answer a phonecall, dail a phonecall, start an application, chartting, etc..) . About this proposal, i want to work out a solution. it's easy to start an application, display remote application in client (PDA). what about the audio/video data especially for interaction including audio/video data? videolan (http://www.videolan.org/) has started some work but it is much more like a VOD system.

Therefore, I want to know whether there are some solution for reference at present? if not, does X foundation have some plan to implement this in the future? Anyone interested in this topic, you are welcome to join in the discussion!

Best regards,
Mark