From: xfree86-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:xfree86-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx]On
Behalf Of Alfred Hovdestad
Sent: Wednesday, January 18, 2006 1:47 AM
To: xfree86@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re:  Just start over

If you can't boot at all, there are two methods that I have used.  First
if your distribution comes with a rescue CD, you can boot off of that.
In Redhat, you can boot off disk 1 and enter linux rescue.

If you don't have a rescue CD, the procedure is a little more involved,
but not terribly difficult.  If you are using grub as your bootloader,
you can enter an 'e' to edit the boot parameters when the grub menu is
displayed.  On the line that begins kernel, press 'e' again to edit the
line and add the word single to the end of the line.  That will boot
your system into single-user mode.

Once you have the rescue mode running, you can edit the file
/etc/inittab  and change the following line:

id:5:initdefault:

id:3:initdefault:

and reboot.   This will boot you into multi-user mode without X11.  You
will then have your server running and you can tinker with X as you see fit.

    Alfred Hovdestad, RHCE
    University of Saskatchewan

Garrett Jochimsen wrote:
> Hello there, I just want to get all programs associated with xfree86 off
> my linux server and try to install it from scratch.  Is there any easy
> way to do this?  I want to at least have my server up and running
> again.  Thank you very much for a quick answer.
>

> Garrett Jochimsen
>
> IT Department
>
> Documation LLC
>
> 715-552-5791
>
> garrett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

DISCLAIMER
This message and any attachment(s) contained here are information that is confidential, proprietary to HCL Technologies
and its customers. Contents may be privileged or otherwise protected by law. The information is solely intended for the
individual or the entity it is addressed to. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, you are not authorized to
read, forward, print, retain, copy or disseminate this message or any part of it. If you have received this e-mail in error,
please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and delete it from your computer