From: xfree86-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:xfree86-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of Alfred Hovdestad
Sent: Tuesday, January 17, 2006 4:07 PM
To: xfree86@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re:  Just start over

Once you get to the shell prompt in rescue (or single user) mode, about
the only editor that you can count on having access to is vi.  To change
the 5 to a 3, type:

vi /etc/inittab

In the editor window, navigate your cursor over the 5 and press

r3

That should [r]eplace the 5 with a 3. The press
:wq

That should save the file.  You can check that

grep inittab /etc/inittab

It should show the entry below.  Then type reboot to reboot the server.

     Alfred

Garrett Jochimsen wrote:
> But, once I make the changes for the id:3:initdefault, how do I save the
> changes, there is no sample in the help file?  I did everything except for
> saving?
>
> Garrett Jochimsen
> IT Department
> Documation LLC