Re: Just start over

If you can't boot at all, there are two methods that I have used. First if your distribution comes with a rescue CD, you can boot off of that. In Redhat, you can boot off disk 1 and enter linux rescue.

If you don't have a rescue CD, the procedure is a little more involved, but not terribly difficult. If you are using grub as your bootloader, you can enter an 'e' to edit the boot parameters when the grub menu is displayed. On the line that begins kernel, press 'e' again to edit the line and add the word single to the end of the line. That will boot your system into single-user mode.

Once you have the rescue mode running, you can edit the file /etc/inittab and change the following line:

id:5:initdefault:

id:3:initdefault:

and reboot. This will boot you into multi-user mode without X11. You will then have your server running and you can tinker with X as you see fit.

   Alfred Hovdestad, RHCE
   University of Saskatchewan

Garrett Jochimsen wrote:
Hello there, I just want to get all programs associated with xfree86 off my linux server and try to install it from scratch. Is there any easy way to do this? I want to at least have my server up and running again. Thank you very much for a quick answer.

Garrett Jochimsen

IT Department

Documation LLC

715-552-5791