Lockup when switching from X VC

I often run two X servers, one on VC7 and the other on VC8, on an
Intel Linux machine.  Way too often the machine locks up, requiring a
hard reset, when I switch from either VC running an X server.  I've
tried switching from, say VC7 to VC6, a text console, then to VC8 on
the theory that the system had more difficulty going directly from
one X server to another, but the crash rate is the same as when
switching directly from VC7 to VC8.  This process has allowed me to
conclude that the crash occurs when switching *from* the X server,
not when starting the X VC.  It never crashes on VC startup.

Can anyone suggest a fix?  Or a debug technique?  I never see
anything useful in the .X.err log that's left behind, but maybe I'm
not appreciating some final message there.

I'm running X 4.5.0 and KDE 3.4.2, about to move to KDE 3.5.  The
kernel is 2.4.23. Mgag200 video with no hal.

Fwiw, it never crashes if I shut down the KDE session on the second X
VC. And it never crashes if only one X server is running.  I suppose
that's a potential workaround, but a pita.  Not as big a pita as a
reboot, though.

TIA,

Jim