Problem with Compaq Deskpro and Amtron monitor

Hello everyone,
I have a problem which is some kind of non deterministic :(
Hardware:
Compaq Deskpro with the following components:
# lspci
00:00.0 Class 0600: 8086:7190 (rev 02)
00:01.0 Class 0604: 8086:7191 (rev 02)
00:0a.0 Class 0200: 8086:1229 (rev 05)
00:14.0 Class 0601: 8086:7110 (rev 02)
00:14.1 Class 0101: 8086:7111 (rev 01)
00:14.2 Class 0c03: 8086:7112 (rev 01)
00:14.3 Class 0680: 8086:7113 (rev 02)
01:00.0 Class 0300: 1002:4742 (rev 5c)
#
Graphics card is
Chip Number: ATI GTC (GT-C2U2)
Chip Description: ATI 3D Rage Pro AGP 2X
Monitor is an Amtran Model No: AX150T, Product Name: RX150T
with the following specs: max res: 1024x768, fh: 30-62kHz, fv: 50-75Hz
System:
XFree 4.3.0 and Kernel 2.4.20 on PXES (
http://pxes.sf.net)
Problem:
If I leave the detection for frequencies to X-Windows it fills up my XF86Config-4 with the following values:
------------SNIP----------------
Section "Monitor"
    Identifier  "Monitor 1"
    HorizSync 56.1-57
    VertRefresh 69-74
# Custom modeline
EndSection
[...]
Section "Screen"
    Identifier  "Screen 1"
    Device      "Device 1"
    Monitor     "Monitor 1"
    DefaultDepth 16
    Subsection "Display"
        Depth       16
        Modes       "1024x768"
        ViewPort    0 0
    EndSubsection
EndSection
------------SNIP----------------
With these values the monitor tries to synchronize with R: 1024x768 H: 56.32kHz V: 70Hz
(R = resolution, H = horizontal frequency, V = vertical frequency)
Problem is, it doesn't synchronize correct. So if I start up the machine the picture is stretched - it is put too far to the right and too far to the bottom plus the aspect ratio is broken.
If I get the current parameters from the screen it says that a resolution of 720x400 pixels has been choosen, which I didn't put in the screen section of my XF86Config-4.
However by pressing the Auto button at the screen a few times (it is not deterministic when that happens) it syncs correctly and resolution is set to 1024x768 pixels.
I started the same hardware with a WfW 3.1 Client (which was earlier in use) and this does synchronize correctly every time.
Parameters are R: 1024x768, H: 48.38kHz, V: 60Hz
So I tried these settings for my XF86Config-4 (no changes in Screen-Section):
------------SNIP----------------
Section "Monitor"
    Identifier  "Monitor 1"
    HorizSync 48.38
    VertRefresh 60
# Custom modeline
EndSection
------------SNIP----------------
What happens then is the same as with the auto detection: The screen sets the correct settings for vertical and horizontal frequencies as given in the XF86Config-4 but always sets a resolution of 720x400 pixels.
Same again here - by pressing the Auto button on the screen it synchs correctly.
If the screen synchs incorrect and I reboot the machine, the compaq logo is "doubled" and not sharp to see. If I boot with this strange picture in many times the synchronization for the 1024x768 pixels works without pressing the Auto button.
So what I don't understand is that the screen synchs to a resolution of 720x400 pixels - I didn't give him the opportunity as I stated a resolution of 1024x768 only in the XF86Config-4.
Having a look at /var/log/XFree86.0.log reveals the following:
------------SNIP----------------
# cat XFree86.0.log | grep "(EE)"
# cat XFree86.0.log | grep "(WW)"
(WW) Open APM failed (/dev/apm_bios) (No such file or directory)
(WW) System lacks support for changing MTRRs
(WW) ATI(0): Cannot shadow an accelerated frame buffer.
[...]
(the full log is attached)

Anyone an idea what I am doing or understanding wrong? Or don't I do anything wrong but the hardware is not playing correctly together?

Any help greatly welcome.
Thanks a lot in advance,
greetings - Sascha.