xset error

I am sorry,
but only today I can access to mailing-list so I don't know if somebody
has answered to my question.

thanks

----- Forwarded by Antonio D'Ambrosio/SLF on 16/09/05 09.55 -----

             Antonio
             D'Ambrosio/SLF
             15/09/05 15.53
                                       xfree86@xxxxxxxxxxx
                                                                        cc

                                                                   Subject
                                       xset error

Hi,
I am trying to set font path with the command

      xset fp+ /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/

as root user but I have the following error:

X Error of failed request:  86
  Major opcode of failed request:  51 (X_SetFontPath)
  Serial number of failed request:  9

My computer is:
Red Hat Advanced Server release 2.1 AS  Linux  2.4.9-e.40

Any ideas ?

Thank you in advance!