Re: interesting fatal crash

No, no cron jobs. Also, the last time it crashed, the screensavers were disabled. I see kapmd daemon running, which refuses to be killed. The only kernel messages around crash:

Jul 8 01:00:04 kashmir gconfd (mrathor-4250): Received signal 1, shutting down cleanly
Jul  8 01:00:04 kashmir gconfd (mrathor-4250): Exiting
Jul  8 01:00:04 kashmir kernel: device eth0 left promiscuous mode
Jul  8 01:00:04 kashmir kernel: bridge-eth0: disabled promiscuous mode

I think this might be after X decided to bail.

Thanks,
Mukesh

Mark Vojkovich wrote:
  I assume you didn't find anything interesting scheduled by
cron for those times?

  Sometimes screensavers, particular OpenGL screensavers can
cause a server crash when they come on if there's a bug in
the OpenGL driver or GLX.

  Could be related to a power management event (dpms or apm)
causing the crash.

   Other than screen savers and power management, I can't
think of any situation where the server would crash on its
own when nothing special was going on.

   You might check the kernel messages.  A segfault in the
kernel prompted by an app's action can show up as a segfault
in the app.

			Mark.