Unicode input in X11 on Mac OSX 10.4

Hello everybody :)

I'm a long-time Mac user, also Mklinux user, so I'm delighted to have both together in Mac OSX. However, I've been very ill/disabled for a long time now, and most of what I used to know about computing has leaked out my ears, and is still leaking, so that limits my options. In particular, I don't remember, and can no longer learn, much about Unix. However, I still try.

I've been trying for some time to get Kbabel installed, since I translate for the open source community whenever I can. LocFactoryEditor is an excellent Mac-native translation app, but many of my team-mates use Kbabel, and I need that option.

I had hideous problem installing it via fink, but eventually succeeded, using fink unstable and my current OS, OSX 10.4.1.

X11 boots OK, then Kbabel, but I can't input my Unicode Vietnamese text at all. (I can input it perfectly in the Mac GUI.) I have set the preference that is supposed to respect the system keyboard, and evidently X11 is seeing that choice, because it isn't inputting the "normal" characters that would be input if I used my English (Australian) keyboard.

The Unicode Vietnamese keyboard, like many layouts that involve accents, uses "dead keys" to give the instruction to prepend or append the accent. Vietnamese uses accents big-time: it's a tonal language, so effectively we have 72 vowels, distinguished by the accents. Since these diacritic marks are combined, we are a test case for Unicode support. However, an app or system which has Unicode display problems of the kind that our language is likely to expose, will actually try to input the accents, and will get some of them wrong, misplaced or missing. With X11, _none_ of the added accents display.

When I hit the "dead key" which should give the instruction to add that accent to the next vowel typed, I get a space immediately, instead of a vowel plus accent when I type the next vowel. For example, a grave accent, as in the Latin-1 character è, is created by hitting the number 5, then the accent. If your mailer supports Unicode (and this hasn't been messed up in transit), this following character, done by typing 5 and e, should look the same: è.

When I type that in X11, I get:
space plus e, no accent. So three grave e's should look like this: èèè, but in fact look like:

 e e e

and a space is input instead of any added accent. This completely disables input in X11 for me.

I don't think it's only a Kbabel problem, or a KDE problem, because I can't input in xterm either.

I'm sorry for the long explanation: I hope it's made sense. I would really appreciate any help with this. I posted about this on the Mac OSX Hints X11 forum, but nobody responded. :( I know Unicode support isn't trivial: I've helped debug several apps. for Unicode support, and I had to sort out why the original Mac OSX Unicode Vietnamese keyboard didn't work consistently (long story: I ended up doing a page online about how to get your OSX inputting and displaying Vietnamese correctly). I'm happy to work with someone on this, or to do what reading and learning I can in solving it.

Thankyou for any help you can offer.