termcap and shutdown errors

Title: termcap and shutdown errors

Greetings All,

I recently upgraded my very old XF86 to version 4.5.0 on a Redhat Linux 4.2 box, and while my upgrade went seamlessly and XF86 appears to be operating stable, I now have 2 quirks that I need help with:

1.  I now can't invoke command line programs such as PINE and PICO when connected to my Linux box via a telnet session from other PCs,....when I try to invoke those programs I get the following error:  Incomplete termcap entry

2.  When in an xterm window within XF86, I can no longer issue a 'shutdown' command, I get a 'bash: unknown command error'

I'm not a Linux Guru by any stretch of the imagination, but learning quickly,...can anyone provide me with some guidance on what might be causing these 2 quirks, and how I might correct them??

Thanks in Advance for any and all help,

Kevin Merrill
MerrillK@xxxxxxxx