Re: "no screens found"

On 6/14/05, Lech Pańkowski <lpank@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Probably you are right. The point is that I would like to make as few
> changes as possible (preferrebly none) to the kernel and the whole
> environment.
> The whole story started as I wanted to make a series of tests to my running
> Linux server. Because some o them might be destructive, I decided to clone
> the server to another machine, with different hardware (I don't have a
> second identical computer). Cloning was done by backup of the server and
> restore to the new machine. After restore X server didn't start in the new
> environment. As the X server appeared to be "pre-release, 4.1.0.1 december,
> 2001" (not supported) I decided to install a new version of X.
> So now the question is wether it is possible to start X (necessary to run
> the tests) making the smallest changes possible.
> Maybe another version of  X will work?

I was going to suggest trying to get a copy of the kernel source of
the kernel that you're running and build a agpgart.o module, but it
looks like you're running 2.2.17, which is pretty ancient.

It may work, though if you get a copy of the kernel source for 2.2.17
and configure it to build agpgart support and then build it but only
copy out the agpgart.o module.

One problem /might/ be that it looks like your build kernel (2.4.x) is
pretty significantly different from your running kernel (2.2.x). It
might be that XFree86 configured itself for features present on a 2.4
kernel and is now confused by the difference of the 2.2 kernel. Maybe
if you rebuild on 2.2.17? And install a agpgart.o module?

This sounds like a crazy project, but I understand that it's sometimes
necessary and I hope it works out well for you.

-Andy