mouse stopped working

In the middle of a session the mouse became unresponsive, CPU went to
100%, and eventually the cursor disappeared completely.  Since then
(across system reboots) the pattern seems to be that I can get it to
move a little bit at first (in the kdm greeter), and then it stops
working, eventually vanishing.

Ordinarily I'd think this was a sign of a hardware problem, but it works
under Win 98 on the same machine (though there are some hints that it's
a bit erratic even there).

mdetect produces no output.

Originally it was set to use gpm, but I've tried it without.  No luck.
Can anyone suggest any steps to diagnose or solve the problem?

Thanks.
Ross Boylan

Some background info on the system:
XFree86 4.3.0 on Debian GNU/Linux with 2.4.27 kernel, using devfs.
3 button ps/2 Belkin F8E813-PS2 mouse.
I upgraded many of the X packages a couple of days before this
happened--but the problems definitely did not start right after that.

Here are some current excerpts from my files
-------------- gpm.conf --------------------
device=/dev/misc/psaux # tried /dev/psaux earlier; it's a symlink
responsiveness=15
repeat_type=ms3
type=ps2
append=''