Radeon 9250 + Apple Cinema Display - not working - suggestions?

Are there any known issues with Radeon 9250 + Apple 23" Cinema Displays
using the DVI connector on the Radeon?

I've been trying to get the above combo working without success.
The configuration I'm using is that generated by X -configure and it
appears to be correct.  However, the problem I'm experiencing is
when starting the Xserver when things switch into graphical mode
from text mode I get no display at all.  The display is completely
blank (doesn't appear to be any signal to the display possibly).

A few things to note, the Xserver itself seems to be running properly, I'm
able to shut it down with ALT + CTRL + BACKSPACE.  However when
when I do this it does not restore text mode for my console.

This really appears to be a driver (and or option to the driver) problem
but obviously I'm only speculating.

Has anyone got a working configuration with the above or have a solution?
btw this is xfree 4.4 under NetBSD -current.

Thanks