Re: X server fails after i810fb insertion

On Wed, Mar 23, 2005 at 04:45:06PM +0530, mukund jampala wrote:
>hi dawas,
>
>thanks for the response.
>
>> >After that I get a fb driver running.
>> >but i miss the GUI on the Desktop & when I say startx, I get some
>> >errors & I have attached the relevant Xserver_log file as well as the
>> >configuration file to this mail.
>> >
>> >I am specific to using i810fb driver as I want to rotate the screen
>> >using X server randr command.
>>
>> The i810fb driver and the XFree86 i810 driver appear to be incompatible,
>
>No, i thnik we have just the i810fb driver in the device section right.
>we are just using i810fb and NOT i810 driver under Xserver.
>but my point is when we are modprobing, we get the console working
>with framebuffer but the GUI stops & fails to start after then.
>
>> because the former likely holds open the agpgart driver, which the latter
>> needs:
>
>what is the situaltion taht some X server needs to use an agpgart? can
>u please briefly explain me that?
>
>> (WW) xf86AcquireGART: AGPIOC_ACQUIRE failed (Device or resource busy)
>> (EE) GARTInit: AGPIOC_INFO failed (Invalid argument)
>> (EE) I810(0): AGP GART support is not available.  Make sure your kernel has
>>        agpgart support or that the agpgart kernel module is loaded.
>>
>> I'm not sure how using the i810fb driver with the XFree86 i810 driver would get you dynamic rotation anyway.
>
>we are not using both. we are jsut using i810fb.

The log you posted shows that the XFree86 server is using its i810 driver,
and thus that you are attempting to using both, whether that is your
intention or not.

XFree86 drivers are separate from kernel drivers.  Broadly speaking you
can either have XFree86 control the hardware directly, or have a kernel
driver control the hardware directly.  If you want to use a kernel driver,
then you need to use XFree86's fbdev driver, which, instead of controlling
the hardware directly, accesses it via the kernel's fb interfaces.

    XFree86/i810           XFree86/fbdev
          |                       |
          v        OR             v
       hardware             kernel/i810fb

                               hardware

>> >How do I solve this problem?
>> >
>> >After that on trial basis when I modied the Device section as follows,
>> >the GUI is working with a light shift in the screen. I thing that can
>> >be rectified with modification is resolution but what is "fbdev" which
>> >made my GUI work?
>>
>> The XFree86 fbdev driver is designed to interface with the the fb module
>> you load into the kernel, in this case i810fb, so that is expected to work.
>
>what can we do to resolve this?

That depends on what you are trying to do.

David