Re: Oh lord I hate Linux!!

John,

I need to post a couple of corrections to my previous post. Apologies for the disinformation.

Nik wrote:
To re-install XFree only, a command something like the following should work for you: rpm -Uvh `rpm -q -a | grep XFree`

Wrong, wrong, wrong.

Much simpler: rpm -Uvh <path-to-rpm-files>/XFree*.rpm

(I should have mentioned that because this is system software, you will need to be 'root' to do this.)

Assuming you installed from a CD, load the CD into the drive. If RedHat doesn't mount the CD automatically, mount the CD using the 'mount' command. Use the 'rpm' command to install all possible XFree rpms, eg:

rpm -Uvf /mnt/cdrom/RedHat/RPMS/XFree*.rpm

**Note: the structure of your CD may differ, or you may be installing from hard disk, network, etc.

You will almost certainly have to add the '--force' option to the UVh part: rpm -Uvh --force `rpm -q -a | grep Xfree`

This still holds true.

You will probably also want to use the '--test' option initially, to see what is going to happen without actually changing things:

rpm -Uvh --test --force `rpm -q -a | grep XFree`

This is probably not really needed now.

Out of interest, my mistake was caused by my confusing issues with erasing a set of rpms with installing them. If you want (or find you need) to remove the XFree rpms before you install the RedHat ones, a command something like:

rpm -e `rpm -q -a | grep XFree` should do the trick.

I also have used a format with the two components reversed:

rpm -q -a | rpm -e

I cannot now remember whether I needed to use the '--pipe' option on the first component to make that work.

Sorry for the previous mistake.

Cheers!
Nik.