Re: 4.4.0 compilation problems

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005, Arthur Rinkel wrote:

I'm having some troubles compiling Xfree86 version 4.4.0 on my homebrew
Linux system (kernel 2.4.20). A 'make World' recognizes my system as:

Linux distribution: unknown
libc: 6.2.2
binutils: 21.3
GCC: 3.0

I've compiled with and without changes to certain .cf files, but in the
end that doesn't matter.

Thus far the programs 'bdftopcf' and 'mkcfm' produce undefined references to
all kind of symbols during compilation (eg. xf86printf, xf86strlcat). These
symbols seem to be defined in source files contained in the directories under
xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/. When "make World" arrives at 'bdftopcf'
these files (in the form of .o and/or .a files) aren't compiled yet...
Running 'make' manually from within the directories does create the objects
and libraries, however still an error occurs while compiling scanpci.c under
.../xfree86/etc/ (i.e. undefined reference to 'cos').

Also, the Makefile of 'bdftopcf' for example, does not contain a line to
include the library archive which contains the symbol xf86printf (which
appears in .../os-support/libxf86_os.a). The Makefile does include the
library freetype, fntstubs and Xfont, of which the latter contains an
undefined reference to xf86printf, so maybe here's something going wrong...
I mean, maybe Xfont shouldn't miss this symbol.

Now I've manually added the required library paths and names to the Makefile,
but that's not the way ofcourse. So I'm puzzled as to why the libraries
under .../hw/xfree86/ aren't created on time. Any ideas?

I think there's something in your setup that's interfering with a proper build. So let's start with a C&P of the command line used by `make World` to compile bdftopcf.c.

Marc.

|  Marc Aurele La France           |  work:   1-780-492-9310           |
|  Computing and Network Services  |  fax:    1-780-492-1729           |
|  352 General Services Building   |  email:  tsi@xxxxxxxxxxx          |
|  Edmonton, Alberta               |                                   |
|  T6G 2H1                         |     Standard disclaimers apply    |
|  CANADA                          |                                   |