Re: CVS XFree86 i830 failure on DELL inspiron 2600

On Fri, Feb 25, 2005 at 07:35:37PM +0100, Nicolas Joly wrote:
>On Wed, Feb 23, 2005 at 08:44:16PM -0500, David Dawes wrote:
>> >[...]
>> >
>> >Attached the 2 logs for 4.4.0 and 4.5.0 with int10 ax,bx and cx
>> >values, but without PrintErrorState.
>> >
>> >I'm starting to recompile the modules to include the PrintErrorState()
>> >calls ...
>>
>> I've had a look through the logs you sent, but I don't see anything
>> obvious problem.  The following lines in one of the logs are not good:
>>
>> (WW) I810(0): PRB0_CTL (0x000b6007) indicates ring buffer enabled
>> (WW) I810(0): PRB0_HEAD (0x008b662c) and PRB0_TAIL (0x00092660) indicate ring buffer not flushed
>>
>> but they don't appear in the second set of logs.
>
>Yes. I don't always have them, but i can't figure why yet.
>
>> The only other thing I can think of right now is to trace through which
>> call to VBESetVBEMode is made, and print the parameters in each case, and
>> call I830_dump_registers() before the VBESetVBEMode() calls.  You'll need
>> to build with I830DEBUG defined (uncomment it in i830.h).
>
>Log file attached.
>
>I made some other tests today and noticed a few things:
>
>- The loop problem only occurs with the "unusual" 1024x600 mode. Even
>  Windows does not deal with that mode. Looks like a BIOS bug ?

Most likely, yes.

>- The missing 1024x768 mode, that was there with the previous realease
>  module, seems to be invalidated due to HSync not in default range.
>  I'm getting a value of 33.8, indeed outside from 28.00-33.00
>  range.
>  I'm currently thinking that the new `i830GetModePool()' function
>  does not give exactly the same results as `VBEGetModePool()'.
>  I can get this working mode back by increasing the HSync range to
>  28.00-34.00 kHz.

In the absence of DDC-probed monitor parameters or explicitly specified
parameters, it seems that the fallback monitor defaults were not getting
set before VBEGetModePool() was called.  Thus, modes that should have
been excluded were not being excluded.  The vesa driver still has this
bug.  I'll look into fixing VBEGetModePool() to correctly handle this
situation, and add warnings to xf86CheckModeForMonitor() for when it is
called before monitor parameters are set.

This has been resolved in the current i830 driver, which accounts for
the change in behaviour that you are seeing.  However, in the case of
flat panels, the driver can and should set better default monitor
parameters, namely parameters that are consistent with a panel sized
mode at 60Hz refresh.  Most drivers probably still don't handle this
correctly.  I modified the neomagic driver to do this shortly before the
4.4.0 release, and that's a good example of how it can be done.

David